Assumption of Command

20 February 2005

Don't Forget The Single Soldiers

A little about myself. This is not my first deployment. I spent about 8 months in Bosnia in the late 90's. When I got home with my unit, there was a whole gym full people of waiting for us to march in. Music was playing (still to this day Lee Greenwood Chokes me up), Kids yelling, Families crying, and the obligatory General speaking. I was so happy to be home and to see all of my soldiers hugging their kids. After all the admin work was done, I went home to an empty apartment.

I am seeing all this wonderful news of soldiers coming (Congrats Red Six) home from the desert to the outstretched arms of their spouses and children and it inspired this post.

These are sights and visions that can move even a stone cold rock of a human being.

But not all soldiers have the "wife and kids" waiting for their return. Some soldiers nearest family maybe one or two thousand miles away from their home station. It the cases of soldiers stationed in Germany their nearest family could be an ocean away. These same soldiers have been incredibly close to their teams, crew members, and battle buddies in all facets of their lives. Now all of a sudden all of that closeness is gone and the single soldier is possibly alone without the people he until recently relied on. This can be just as difficult as trying to get used to the spouse that now runs the household without the soldier. The Army tries to prepare us for re-entry into our families. Granted this is very important, but they don't seem to have anything for reuniting with yourself.

Just do me a favor don't forget about the single guys and gals just because they are back. Home can be a very lonely place too.

Update: I am not home yet. I still have a ways to go before I go home, I still thank you for the thoughts anyhow :) Thanks to Mrs. GreyHawk for the nice words.

Update 2: RightWingSparkle has good idea.

Update 3: A commenter makes a good point.

Update 4: Whoops.