Assumption of Command

19 March 2005

DadManly

I am in a particularly poor mood today. I get that way when I have to verbally reprimand a Senior NCO. I think the world of NCOs in general. But when I have to dress down a senior for mouthing off at me in front of troops, (BIG NO NO!) it will tend to bother me for a bit, as I expect a lot more out of them. Since I am not in a real good mood, instead of writing something of my own, I will point you to something I think is really good. Here is a Senior NCO that has more integrity and professionalism than what I witnessed and corrected today. (rant off)

DadManly is a fellow deployed soldier here in Iraq. He has a ton of good posts. Here are two of his recent ones:

DadManly talks about some of the fun and goofy things his son, "Little Manly" has been saying while he is gone.
Little Manly:
The other night, Mrs. Dadmanly didn't have have time and was running late and said to Little Manly at 7:10, "Sit down at the table, we are eating in here and let's get it over with." (Less extra preparation, less cleanup, less time overall.) As she describes it, "you would have thought I cut off his arm."
I can totally relate to this next post. Dadmanly and I share a great fondness for good steaks. The DFAC here is really good except the steaks are terrible. I think the cook them 3 hours before they serve them. it seems more like eating Astroturf. He pretty much nails it on the head with this post.

Dinner in Iraq:
Okay, not so short aside. Steak is never quite steak, which must be why they keep calling it different things. "Salisbury Steak" is a popular name for this beef, dense, kind of tough, always overcooked ("simmered"). "T-Bone Steak," same beef, sliver of bone attached. "Prime Rib," same beef. "What, you don' like meat? You don ' like MEAT?!"
The one thing I think he fails to mention is that these Pakistaninis that are working in the DFAC always have a smile on their face, they take a lot of pride in their work, especially when they have a special meal. The special meals take a lot more time to prepare but it is worth it.

For example, they have Lasagna Night, with something like 10 different types of HANDMADE lasagna. Beef, Chicken, Mushroom and Cheddar, etc.. But my favorite is the Mongolian Nights. They take one of the long salad bars and put a bunch of different raw ingredients and the trooper goes down the line and pick out what they want and they stir fry it up. Just like a Mongolian Grill restaurant that I love back home.

Back to the point you can see the pride in the eyes of the guys working behind the counter on these nights. For as many people as they feed, they really do a wonderful job.

And I thought I wasn't going to write anything. :)