Assumption of Command

31 March 2005

Everybody's Favorite!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This is the Second Installment of "Ask Mustang 23!". It seems like Ms. R's 7th Grade Advanced Social Studies class is going to be sending a few questions. Today I received a message from "Lauryn and Class":
When did you go over to Iraq? What do you do for fun whenever you aren't working? Is there weather nice there most of the time?? And i was wondering if you think that the teenagers in Iraq are different than the teenagers here in the USA. Also, what kind of food do you eat in Iraq. Because you said that you were craving strouds chicken and bar-b-que. Also where are you and how long have you been in Iraq. Do you get to watch TV there?? If you do, who do you think should be voted off american idol?? I think Carrie is going to win.

Well, be safe and try to have as much fun as you can, Lauryn and Class.
You ask some cool questions. let me see what I can do with these:

When did you go over to Iraq?
I went to Iraq just a little bit after Thanksgiving, but I left the US in the middle of October, before you go to Iraq you have to spend some time in Kuwait getting ready to go to Iraq.
What do you do for fun whenever you aren't working?

Fun! Who has time for fun with all these questions to answer? Just joking.

There are a few things to do around here. We watch a lot of DVDs here most everybody either has a mini DVD player or a laptop to watch movies on. I have a whole bunch of them myself. I do read a little bit before I go to sleep. Right now I am reading "Pacific Vortex" by Clive Cussler. Cussler writes modern day ocean adventure books. I like his stuff a lot. But my Dad, "Mustang Sarge", keeps sending me books that have pictures of couples that like they are about to kiss on the cover. There is an Organization that here to help troops have fun it is called MWR (Morale, Recreation, Welfare) the have shelves and shelves of books to read. I don't want to read those "couple kissing books", so I take them down to MWR and I get a Clive Cussler book instead.

MWR also has pool tables, ping pong tables, big TVs, a little movie theatre, a gym, and some card tables. MWR also puts on some competitions between units. For example, Darts, basketball, Fake money Texas Hold 'em, Dodge Ball. Tonight we had a talent show. But to tell you the truth I spend most of my free time E-mailing family and friends or Working on this site. This is fun for me. (It is all a ploy to get my mom to send cookies, but shhhh don't tell her that)

And i was wondering if you think that the teenagers in Iraq are different than the teenagers here in the USA.
I really don't have any first hand knowledge about the teenagers here, but I do know that there are schools here and that the schools are getting better. A lot of the teenagers here help the family with farming or with work. anything to help the family.
Also, what kind of food do you eat in Iraq? Because you said that you were craving strouds chicken and bar-b-que.
mmmmm BBQ (think Homer Simpson and doughnuts) We eat about the same food as kids in school eat, but with more variety. There are a lot of soldiers here and they feed us in a Dining Facility (DFAC) the food is pretty good except the steaks tastelike Astroturf. (read that link it will help you understand a little better) I had this for Breakfast a couple months ago:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Also where are you
I am out in the middle of nowhere. I am not in Baghdad or another main city, just out in the country side on an old Iraqi Air Force base.
and how long have you been in Iraq.
I already answered that one! Are you trying to get more than your fair share of questions? Lauryn, Do Push-ups! April Fools! :)
Do you get to watch TV there??
Yes we have some TV. We have what is called AFN, Armed Forces Network. They show us a lot of different things. We have a sports channel and a news channel and a couple of every thing else channels. What is weird about it is that they don't show commercials. They show goofy public service announcements that tell us about the history of North Dakota or reminding us to lock our cars or something like that.
Do you get to watch TV there?? If you do, who do you think should be voted off american idol?? I think Carrie is going to win.
I haven't watched American Idol since they rejected William Hung. American Idol is on, but we don't watch it much here. I do watch re-runs of Law and Order and the Simpsons. Mostly, I just watch the news.
Well, be safe and try to have as much fun as you can, Lauryn and Class.
You have my word that I will have as much fun as humanly possible.