Assumption of Command

11 April 2005

Carson's turn to...



But first things first, Push up business. When last we met, Lauryn fate was resting on the opinions of the commenters. Now, it looks like Lauryn was let off the hook by her teacher Ms. R and since I don't want to be sent to the principal's office, I won't make her do push ups. I am getting a little itchy since I haven't made anybody do push ups for a while. This next question better be good.


Carson writes:
Saving Private Ryan, Troy, and Band of Brothers are my favorite movies. Did you help with the security of the Iraqi people during the elections? Did you ever search for Saddam Hussein? The news says his old palaces are really cool, have you ever seen one of them. I think night vision goggles are extremely cool, are they part of your daily gear you have to have. Do you ever get scared and have to sit down and think and regain your composure?
Carson, thank you for answering one of my questions. I like Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan. I have not seen Troy yet, but there is a copy of it running around. I might have to borrow it. It looks like Carson is really in to History and war, either that or He likes Matt Damon and Brad Pitt a whole lot. :)
On to the questions:
Did you help with the security of the Iraqi people during the elections?
Not directly. My units job over here is to provide stuff that units need. For example: Beans, Blankets, Bullets and Bolts. We make sure they have the fuel that they need or the repair parts for their M1114s. So my unit did help the make the elections a success, but we were not out in the streets.
Did you ever search for Saddam Hussein?
Nope they captured him before I got here.
The news says his old palaces are really cool, have you ever seen one of them.
Some of them are really cool. I was able to see one of the big ones from the highway as I drove by. That was neat.

But I did manage to visit a smaller one. Here are some pictures:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I bet this one WAS pretty cool before the United States Air Force "remodeled" it. :) This was before I got the "No Camels" sticker. Sorry!
I think night vision goggles are extremely cool, are they part of your daily gear you have to have.
NVGs are really cool. We don't need them on a daily basis, but we have them if we need them. One of my favorite things to do is take the NVGs and look at the stars. You think there are lot now, put those on and look up. WOW!
Do you ever get scared and have to sit down and think and regain your composure?
I don't know if I would call it scared. Nervous, yes. Scared, no. It is very normal to get nervous, it keeps you more alert. I get the butterflies the most when I am about to go on convoy. A convoy is the most dangerous thing we do. The Bad guys are not hitting convoys as much as they used to, but they are still out there. Before we deployed to Iraq we trained REALLY HARD on proper convoy procedures so that if the bad guys want to mess with us, we will know what to do. I haven't been so frightened that I have had to regain my composure yet. But there was a time when someone took my last Pineapple Nectar out of the refrigerator that I got angry and had to cool down a little bit. But you don't need to know about that. :)

That is all for now. It looks like Adam did okay and I won't make him do push-ups. I am having "make people do push ups" withdrawals. That means Lia better have some good stuff in her e-mail or it might be bad for her.