Assumption of Command

22 April 2005

Flat Stanley

I got this in the mail today from Mustang Sarge (My Dad):


Flat Stanley
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

With this note


Hey Folks--

My second-grade daughter, Sarah, has an assignment to take a guy named "Flat Stanley" on a trip someplace. We decided to do something a little different and make him digital, then send him across the Internet, across the US and even around the world. I've been asking some of the folks I know online to give us a hand with that.

She’s already written about his "journey" that began when she put him face-down in the scanner, and he traveled through the silver cable into the computer and entered the digital world. In the digital world he was able to undergo all kinds of transformations and even get colorized (he was black and white when he came home), and Sarah oversaw all of those.

Then she had me print them out so she could take them to school and show her class all of the changes he went through in the digital world. We even sent in a page of the code that describes him to the computer--only one of more than 5,000 pages of it for one little image.

So now he's attached to this message. If you want to forward him anywhere else—- specially far away or exotic places--please be my guest. Just ask anyone who receives him to send a note back to Sarah Fairfax--care of me, her daddy--about where he's gotten himself to and any adventures he might have there.

Then next week she’ll bring her class a list of all the places he went, and maybe a map showing where they are.

Thanks!
--
Mark (mluebker-at-comcast-dot-net)
this is the message I sent to Sarah:

Sarah,
Flat Stanley stopped by my office here in Iraq for a quick visit. I am a soldier in the United States Army. When he stopped by my office I asked him if he wanted to be on my website. He said yes and wanted me to let you know where you can find him.

He is at Assumption of Command. http://assumecommand.blogspot.com/

Sarah! I hope this helps.

Good luck with your project,
Mustang 23

If you have a blog or another website, I invite you to "steal" Flat Stanley and help him see a whole lot more places.

It sounds like a job for basil's blog Warriors!

Let me know where you put Flat Stanly so I can let others know where he is.