Assumption of Command

21 April 2005

Mattie (Valerie and Zac)



Mattie, with some input from Valerie and Zac, writes:
Hey there,

How long will you be in Iraq? Would you say the economy is going up or down? You mentioned a pool, do you ever get to take a dip? Have you ever met the prime minister of Iraq or have seen him? Today we took pictures to send to you and it was a blast. Valerie and I did push ups in the silly picture. This week we have been taking the MAP test. We took the comm arts and science portions. Science was easy and comm arts was hard, but most of all boring.

Be safe and do push ups
Okay, this should be fun. I guess since I don't have any push up business outstanding we will go straight into the questions.
How long will you be in Iraq?
That is one of the best questions around, but it is also one of the most difficult to answers. I really don't know. I wish I could tell you. it will probably change 8 times before we actually get to go home anyhow. It is nice to think about being home, but I do not dwell on a particular date. I, as the cliché says, take it one day at a time.
Would you say the economy is going up or down?
I would say it is going up. All over the country they are building new stuff. That is one of the biggest signs of an economy improving. But what I think is more important is getting more jobs for the locals. In some areas there is still a jobless problem. But it is improving. Once the government starts putting people back to work it will get better.
You mentioned a pool, do you ever get to take a dip?
Not yet. It isn't quite open. It was supposed to have opened already, but the chemicals haven't arrived yet.
Have you ever met the prime minister of Iraq or have seen him?
Nope, he doesn't come around here. He tends to hang out in Baghdad. But we do get prime rib at the Chow Hall every now and then. Does that count?
Today we took pictures to send to you and it was a blast. Valerie and I did push ups in the silly picture.
Oh yeah! The Silly Picture!

Great! Push ups! Lets take a closer look:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Hold on a second. Big Problem. What kind of push ups are those. Those aren't army push ups. We don't do push ups from our knees. Do I have to come over there and show you what real push ups look like!
This week we have been taking the MAP test. We took the comm arts and science portions. Science was easy and comm arts was hard, but most of all boring.
Yeah, I heard you guys were taking those tests. I wasn't very good at the comm arts stuff, but I did okay at the science stuff. It is important stuff, but yes it is boring. I found out the hard way that marking all of the circles with my number 2 pencil doesn't mean you will get a perfect score.
Be safe and do push ups
Thanks. But you need to work on your form!

I think it is time for more questions from me.
  • What was the last movie you saw in the theatre? If it was recent tell me about it, because I probably don't know anything about it.
  • Give me one interesting or fun, true fact about Missouri.
  • What date is the official Birthday of the US Army? What other important day shares the same date? How old will the Army be this year?

That should do it.