Assumption of Command

24 May 2005

It has been a while...




It sure has been a while since I got the last e-mail from Ms. R's class. It has been so long that I want to make everybody do push ups, but since I am just so glad to get more questions I can't bring myself to it. I am just a nice guy that way. BUT DON'T PUSH YOUR LUCK! :)

It has come to my attention that school is ending this week. I bet that breaks everybody hearts. So this is going to be the last set of questions for the year. that breaks my heart. This is too much fun. Maybe you guys should stay in school all summer just so I have questions to answer! (note to self: that probably won't go over very well)

Ms. R's class writes
okay well, have you made any new friends through this experience? Do you march like in the movies?? hut 2-3-4! What do you miss the most about your home and what do you miss the most about the united states? if we were in iraq we would probably miss our friends, the movies, being able to eat ALL THE TIME, and constantly going shopping and tanning! Are y'all swiming yet?

b3 s@f3

lauryn, mattie, and the rest of mrs. R's class!!
Let's get to work on this.
okay well, have you made any new friends through this experience?
I am not sure if I would call the people I have met friends, as a commander I am not really allowed to make too many friends. Especially not the Enlisted Soldiers. It is my job to lead them not to be friends with them. And sometimes when I have to make an important decision, I have to put aside what the troops will think of decision and base my decision on what is the right thing to do. If I have a bunch of friends, it makes it a lot harder to do that. The troops can like me when we get home. I also have to treat the troops equally. I can not show favoritism based on who my friends are. That would not be right. I have met a lot of good people here and some people I will probably keep in touch with and maybe become friends later, but not now.

I hope that makes sense.
Do you march like in the movies?? hut 2-3-4!
Yes we do, but not here in Iraq. We do that back home when we all have to get to the same place together, or we are doing PT and running together. There are no "huts" in the Army. We live in tents or buildings. :) Only Quarterbacks say that. When we march we do sound off with 1-2-3-4 and left and right and some other fun stuff as well like:

I used to date a beauty queen,
Now a got an M16,
I used to wear the faded jeans,
Now I'm wearing Army greens,
I used to drive a Chevrolet,
Now I'm marching everyday,
What do you miss the most about your home and what do you miss the most about the united states?
Let me count the ways!

I my family and friends, I miss my Girlfriend, I miss my car and being able to drive it whenever I want. I miss going to Royals games (even if they are terrible), I miss nights out on the town, Mustang Mama's cooking, Chipotle, my bed, my stuff, my surround sound DVD player, my 40 hour a week job, weekends, not having helicopters hover over my bed at night, roller coasters, not having to figure out what time it is back home, real phone lines, not having to walk 100 feet to the bathroom, my own bathroom, Super Bowl parties, a good internet connection, not having to carry a weapon everywhere I go, not having to put a helmet on when I get into a vehicle, Papa Murphy's, not having to shave everyday, being able to sleep in, not worrying, bowling, chopper shopper cards, yelling at the stupid driver during rush hour, realizing I am the stupid driver in rush hour, holidays, not having to convoy, not having a loud generator everywhere. That is a good enough start. I miss a lot of things.
if we were in iraq we would probably miss our friends, the movies, being able to eat ALL THE TIME, and constantly going shopping and tanning!
Yeah I miss going to the movies. I am not talking about the Sith movie right now. We don't have any of those pirated copies. (YET!) I did finally get to see Sahara. It wasn't bad as action flicks go. The book was a lot better.

We have no problem eating all the time over here, the chow hall is open 4 times a day and usually for 3 hours at a time, plus we got a lot of other cool stuff to munch on here at the office, so that isn't so bad. But I do miss cooking.

It would be nice to go shopping, if I want something I have to buy it on the internet.

Tanning? NOT QUITE! Haven't we been through that before? :)
Are y'all swiming yet?
:( No! The people who run the pool can't seem to get the chemicals for the pool and the water is really gross. So it might be a while. I hope they get it open soon because it is alreay over 100 degrees here.
b3 s@f3
1 \/\/1!!. u d00d$ r !ucK¥ 1 $p34k l337
lauryn, mattie, and the rest of Mrs. R's class!!

So...how will we keep in touch after Friday?
I will be right here at this website and you can still e-mail me at Mustang23_assume*at*hotmail*dot*com. I hope every one has a great summer and have some fun for me.