Assumption of Command

29 May 2005

Memorial Day

This Memorial Day is unlike any I have ever experienced. Normally I have the day off and I am off somewhere doing something neat. But this year I find it very difficult to actually say "Happy Memorial Day". I am just not sure that I should be happy about it. Last year at this time I was enjoying life, attending the Indy 500 with good friends and getting the chance to visit family in Indianapolis.

The only time I really thought about what Memorial Day really means, was during the pre race ceremonies. The rest of the weekend was just one great road trip, one that I will not soon forget.

This year I am here in Iraq. I have attended memorial ceremonies for fallen soldiers. I have read the reports of US Forces Killed in Action. I have talked with soldiers that were 2 trucks in front of the vehicle that got hit, who drove right over the IED seconds before it detonated.

How exactly am I supposed to feel today? I don't know.

I do know this; I value the Freedom that I have back home and the USA is the greatest country in the world no matter what anybody says. I am very proud to be a small part in tremendous History of US Military. And I am very grateful of all of those who have sacrificed their life or their health for me to be able to enjoy the freedoms that I long to get home to enjoy.