Assumption of Command

13 June 2005

Happy Birthday Army!

Tuesday, June 14th 2005 is the 230th Birthday of the United States Army. And in tribute to this special occasion I have collected some of my favorite Army movie quotes. (and had a great time doing so) I know the list is long, and it could have been much longer.

What I want everybody to do is tell me which quotes that you like that I am missing from this list.

Stripes
PVT Winger: We're all Americans...it means our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We're mutts. So we're all very different but there's something we have in common....
PVT Winger: We're soldiers, but we're American soldiers! We've been kicking ass for 200 years! We're 10-and-1!
Russell Ziskey: [W]e're not homosexuals, but we are willing to learn.


M*A*S*H
Maj. "Hot Lips" Houlihan: I wonder how a degenerated person like that could have reached a position of responsibility in the Army Medical Corps?
Father Mulcahy: He was drafted.


Forrest Gump
Drill Sergeant: Gump! What's your sole purpose in this army?
Forrest Gump: To do whatever you tell me, drill sergeant!
Drill Sergeant: G** d*** it, Gump! You're a g** d*** genius! This is the most outstanding answer I have ever heard. You must have a g*****n I.Q. of 160. You are g*****n gifted, Private Gump. Listen up, people...
Forrest Gump: Now for some reason I fit in the army like one of them round pegs. It's not really hard. You just make your bed real neat and remember to stand up straight and always answer every question with "Yes, drill sergeant."
Drill Sergeant: ...Is that clear?
Forrest Gump: Yes, drill sergeant!
Fat Man at Bench: It was a bullet, wasn't it?
Forrest Gump: A bullet?
Fat Man at Bench: That jumped up and bit you.
Forrest Gump: Oh, yes sir. Bit me right in the buttocks. They said it was a million dollar wound, but the army must keep that money 'cause I still haven't seen a nickel of that million dollars.
Lyndon B. Johnson: [Putting medal on Forrest] America owes you a debt of gratitude, son. Now I understand you were wounded. Where were you hit?
Forrest Gump: In the buttocks.
Lyndon B. Johnson: Oh that must be a site.
[Whispering to Forrest]
Lyndon B. Johnson: I'd like to see that.
[Forrest shows him; Johnson walks away embarrassed]


Good Morning Vietnam
Sgt. Maj. Dickerson: I run this station by strict guidelines set by military intelligence.
Gen. Tayler: Military intelligence . . . now there's a contradiction in terms.


Apocalypse Now
Lt. Colonel Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning.


Kelly's Heroes
Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!


In the Army Now
Bones: Actually, I wish you WERE my "first" sergeant, but I already had a couple before you.
Sgt. Ladd: Drop down and give me twenty!
Bones: Here. Take the whole wallet.


Patton (too many to choose from)
Patton: The bilious bastards who came up with that stuff about individuality know as much about battle as they do about fornicating.
General Omar N. Bradley: What we really need is... someone tough enough to really pull this outfit together.
Brig. Gen. Hobart Carver: Patton?
General Omar N. Bradley: Possibly.
Brig. Gen. Hobart Carver: [with a smile] God help us!
Patton: Men, all this stuff you've heard about America not wanting to fight - wanting to stay out of the war, is a lot of horse dung. Americans traditionally love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle. When you were kids, you all admired the champion marble shooter, the fastest runner, big league ball players, the toughest boxers. Americans love a winner and will not tolerate a loser. Americans play to win all the time. I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why Americans have never lost and never will lose a war, because the very thought of losing is hateful to Americans.


Street Fighter
Colonel William F. Guile: Four years of ROTC for this s***


A Bridge Too Far
SSgt. Eddie Dohun: Colonel, if you don't look at him right now, he's going to die.
U.S. medical colonel: He's dead now.
SSgt. Eddie Dohun: It would mean a lot to me, sir, if you'd check him out.
U.S. medical colonel: Come on, Sergeant! For Chrissakes get him out of here!
SSgt. Eddie Dohun: Would you look at him please, sir.
[draws his .45]
SSgt. Eddie Dohun: Right now. Or I'll blow your f*****' head off.
[cocks the .45]
SSgt. Eddie Dohun: Right now.
U.S. medical colonel: I can give him a quick examination if you like.
SSgt. Eddie Dohun: Thank you very much, sir.
(after saving the Captain's life)
U.S. medical colonel: You scared the s*** out of me, you stupid bastard.
SSgt. Eddie Dohun: You did a fine job yourself, sir, if it makes you feel any better.
U.S. medical colonel: You're g*****n right it does.
Maj. Julian Cook: [reporting another delay to his officers] Ah, I suppose you're wondering why I called you here. I want to tell you that I've decided to cross the river like George Washington; standing in the prow of the boat.

Whew! Done for now. :)