Assumption of Command

19 June 2005

Happy Father's Day

Last year, there was no big fan fare for Father's Day back home. But we did get a lot of work done. The roof on our covered porch had been poorly repaired by *ahem* a couple guys my Dad and I know *cough* a few years back when the entire roof was re-shingled and a part of the porch roof was replaced. When we fixed it the first time we left a bit of a leak and the wood over a few years on the porch rotted, so my dad and I spent a whole weekend re-roofing the entire porch from scratch.

Any home improvement job at the house is a real adventure. Mustang Mama is always there to lend a hand by making sure our Iced Tea (regular not that sweetened junk) glasses was always full and providing the obligatory commentary like "Why do you always have to make a mess?" has (anybody ever done a spotless roof repair?) or the always popular "I wish you would just hire it done". But most of the time we would just get the weird looks from the screen door.

While we would work, we would have the radio playing the Royals’ Game. (What else!) We might not be the best of carpenters in the world (who am I kidding) but we learned from the mistakes of the previous two guys ;) and got the job done right.

Now a year later, the porch doesn't leak anymore and it has a new grill on it that I haven't even seen yet, but I hear it is nice. Even though I am not home this year, I hope Mustang Sarge and Mustang Mama can use the porch.

Happy Father's Day