Assumption of Command

21 June 2005

Should we accept Durbin's Apology?

I agree with Smash on this one.

If you don't know about the stink that Senator Durban (D-Ill) made on the Senate Floor, he compared US Service members to Nazis. ON THE SENATE FLOOR! It has been a long story it is all over the blogosphere.

But now he has apologized (The Political Teen: video and trascript)
Some may believe my remarks crossed the line. To them I extend my heartfelt apologies. There’s usually a quote by Abraham Lincoln that you can turn to in moments like this. Maybe this is the right one. Lincoln said “If the end brings me out right what is set against me won’t amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong ten thousand angels swarming at his right won’t make any difference.” In the end I don’t want anything in my public career to detract from my love of this country, my respect for those who serve it, and this great Senate. I offer my apologies for those who were offended by my words, I promise you that I will continue to speak out on the issues I think are important to the people of Illinois and to the Nation. Mr.
President I yield to the floor.
Smash Says:
Apology accepted.

Show's over, folks. Move along.
I am with Smash here. It seems we are in the Minority on this situation as many other bloggers want to see more heads roll, as Michelle Malkin and Blackfive tell us. I am just as angry about the situation as everyone else, but I think we need to get past this and stop dwelling on it. Bringing it back up, by either side of the aisle, does nothing but pick at the scar that is not quickly healing now. Please let just let this scar heal by accepting Sen. Durbin’s apology and letting it go.

For the good of everyone, especially for us troops who are in danger here in faraway lands, let it go.

Update: Pothus, in the comments says (among other things)
It's too little too late. What he said can NEVER be retracted, no matter how apologetic he may appear.
I responded in the comments but I want to put them here on the main page as well.

Pothus,

You might be right, it could be too little too late to take his apology seriously, but that is not my point. I want this over with. I don't want to hear about it, I don't want more potential bad guys to hear about it. I just want it over! (at least until his re-election campaign)

Trust me when I say this, I hate what he said and I have very little respect for the man right now, but my need to see this ended overpowers my need to see him punished!

thank you for your passion for protecting and supporting the troops.
Mustang 23


Update2: Okay maybe the title of this post is misleading and is not the point I was trying to make. I really don't care if we accept Durbin's apology. I just want this over!