Assumption of Command

22 July 2005

I got out of the office

(Updated) Yes it is my Birthday!

Okay I know it has been a couple days since posting anything, but as everybody knows I have work to do here. Iraq is not just all fun and blogging. I went to LSA Anaconda for a few days.

My trip to Anaconda was on the worlds ugliest aircraft, C-23 Sherpa:

This was my Chariot.

This link has a lot of good info on the Sherpa and some more pictures.

One of the "features" of the Sherpa is that it is un-pressurized and it likes to fly very low. So low that I could look down at a herd of animals and could tell which ones were sheep and which were goats. We were also weaving back and forth like a drunk driver. The pilot wasn't drunk but he sure doesn't know what a straight line is. For me this wasn't such a big deal, but for others the flight crew places Motion Sickness Bags above our heads just in case the need arises. And from what I have been told by troops in my company, breakfast doesn't stay with everybody.

While we were flying low, I got to take this picture:

(Click for Larger Image)
I thought this was a cool spot, but moving as fast as we were as low as we were, I didn't see much of it. And people think this place is a desert.

Anyhow, I made it to Anaconda without the use of the Motion sickness bag. YEA! The Mission for my trip was to take care of some redeployment issues. I arranged for my unit’s gear to get put back on the boat for the trip home. This is a big step in going home. So that is real cool.

People have been asking how long it will be before I get home. Well I can safely say that I am a two-digit-midget. That means my our days remaining (short) is under 100. So we are moving along.

Anaconda is a bad place, it is way too crowded. Burger King and Pizza Hut are nice, but it is just not my style at all. If I don't have to go back, I won't. I was sitting waiting for something (imagine that) with the Movie "Volcano" playing. As lava was flying out of a manhole like a geyser, an F-16 took off and started shaking everything. I thought "Wow, that's a good movie!" :) Yes the place is very loud. If it wasn’t for the electricity for the A/C I would hate the loud generators.

I did run into a couple British Medics while in a TV lounge. One of them was getting a cup of coffee, while there were tea bags sitting right there. Now that just didn’t make any sense to me. So I let him know how weird it looked to me to see a Brit drinking coffee when tea was readily available. He said that normally he does drink tea. I just think he read my post about coffee and was convinced. But that is beside the point. :)

We got all of the work at Anaconda done on Wednesday and we were scheduled to fly back here on Thursday. So we get to the flight line all kinds of early. (hurry up and wait) Just to find out that our names were not on the list. WTFruitcake! That sucks.

So we had to go back to transient housing and find another flight. We found on, but guess what. We had to be at the terminal at 0245. Yes, 0245! I set my alarm and unsuccessfully tried to get some sleep for my unprecedented 0200 wake up. We made it on the flight, another Sherpa. I was too busy sleeping to take any pictures.

As a matter of fact, I am still sleepy as that was this morning. So I am going to go take a nap. Waking up at 0200 isn't the way I usually spend my birthday, but I guess this whole year has been everything but normal.

Update: Word of my Birthday seems to be getting around. Thanks you:
Beth (HA-HA Very Funny)
Oddybobo
Wuzzadem
Evil Glenn ®

Update2: Even more!
Travis Benning

Update 3: Again!
April M. Shah
basil
Phin
Cap'n Bob