Assumption of Command

05 October 2005

Trying to be me again

This is kind of a odd thing to talk about for me. But it is something that is important. I am in my transition to being home.

One thing I am that is new is clean air. The Army Medics warned us that when we get home we could find ourselves coughing for a couple weeks as our lung adjust to having air without dirt and dust in it. I have been coughing in the morning. I hope this doesn't last very long.

My last 3 weeks of the mobilization was very stressful. I didn't have a lot of time to do other thing. If you haven't noticed, my posting on this blog has been limited. It takes a lot of work and coordination to get a unit out of Iraq. In true Army fashion, it was not as smooth of a process as one would like it to be. We spent a lot of time preparing to clear all of the different places, but one particular organization really screwed us. When we called ahead to ask them what we needed to do to clear, they gave us a list and we prepared our document accordingly. But when we got to Kuwait to do the actual clearing, they gave us a completely different list because they had imputed info in their database wrong. This was incredibly frustrating. It almost made me miss my freedom flight trying to fix it.

Why am I explaining all of this, well now that my 14 month mobilization and 12 month deployment is over, cap stoned by stressful time, I don't want to worry about anything at all. I am sick of questions. I am sick of planning. I am tired of little details. I just want to relax and unstress myself.

BTW: Thanks for all of the kind words. I am very glad to be home, but I also want to get past the welcome home phase and just "be home". If I have to go to another welcome home ceremony I think I will have to puke.